Saturday, November 17, 2007

A sound improvement

Have been looking into the reasons for the whistling noise inside the 2000 when I noticed a steady stream of cold air coming into the car around the passenger door. A few weeks ago I bought a length of door seal to replace the section on the drivers side door, but noticing the air coming in, I chose to fit it onto the passenger door instead, now this was not as quite as simple as you might hope.
Looking at the seals on the passenger side doors, the seal was one way around, but on the drivers side, they were the other way, so which way to fit the new seal? After looking through my workshop manual, to find no useful information, I decided to copy the drivers side and success. On my next trip out that annoying whistling noise had disappeared.

Work continues on the passenger side front wing, removing the final traces on the dent, it's getting better now, I just need to find the right day to set about spraying it, which could be a bit of a job in itself given the colder and wetter weather at the moment.

For a change I have been going a bit of work on a GT6, not mine unfortunately, but one belonging to a guy from the Club Triumph forum. He told me he thought the brakes were not very good, well we found out why today, the front passenger side caliper was siezed, as was the rear drivers side slave cylinder, no wonder it did not stop very well.
While I was there, I also checked the trunnions and wheel bearings. The trunnions were full of grease and the wheel bearings did not have enough, so that was soon rectified with fresh gear oil in the trunnions and some more grease for the bearings. Should be alright for a MOT soon after it has battery clamp fitted and a new seal put on the filler cap.

No comments: