Friday, March 14, 2008

A bigger stud

After having a couple of wheel studs fail on my old Dolomite and then seeing the condition of the wheel nuts that came with my Revolutions wheels, I have not been too happy with the original 3/8" wheel studs. Fortunately this issue has come up in discussion forums in the past and a suitable alternative has already been identified. The upgrade is to use M12 X 1.5 wheel studs from a Land Rover Freelander, these just happen to have the same diameter of splinded area, so the hubs do not have to be altered to accept these new ones. The advantage of these is the much larger diameter and length of studs and the availability of alternative wheel nuts, as it looked at one time I was going to have great difficulty in finding replacement wheel nuts for my Revolution wheels.




























I seem to have amassed a collection of Lucas electric high pressure fuel pumps for the PI system, so I decided to go through them and check the condition of the pump units and the electric motors. The pump which I had put aside with the intention of using in my car had one of the best pump units, showing very little ware on the pump body from the gears. The electric motor part was blown out to remove dust and the armature was cleaned off, removing any high spots. Should at least get me started I hope.

No comments: