Monday, August 03, 2009

On with the GT6 PI install

It took a bit longer than I had hoped but I soon got the inlet and exhaust manifolds on. It took longer as I needed to try different fixings for the manifold to enable me to both get the bolt in and tighten it up, so there is both nuts and cap head bolts holding it to the head

Next it was on to bracket for the throttle cable, temporary at first to check the movement before welding it together.



With the manifolds all on I could connect up all the hoses, but no fuel was getting through to the injectors and the battery soon ran down, so that had to go on charge. I was not sure if the injectors needed to be bled, the PRV was set too low or just that the battery is too low.





After a quick call I soon found out that the fuel system needed to be bled through the injectors by turning over the engine with the spark plugs out, excess fuel on full and the injectors out of the manifolds, which all makes good sense really, so to reduce the load on the starter. Such are the problems of trying to undertake a job such as this on your own with no previous experience on the Lucas PI system.

With the system properly bled through I did manage to get the engine to run on the Lucas PI system, albeit somewhat roughly as the throttle bodies had not been balanced and the tick over not set, but at least it ran, so I was happy enough for that days work.

No comments: