Monday, July 04, 2011

Back to the GT6, more paint

With the replacement GT6 body safely back on it's stand in the barn, I set about painting the interior. I've done this to of course protect the steel, but also to put all of the interior in one solid colour, to make any modifications and previous less obvious. It's been painted using sythetic paint as it was readily available and could be brush painted, I really did not want to have to mask-up the car to spray paint or risk over-spray on the good paintwork.



While working on the body, I've been servicing some of the smaller parts and I turned my attention to the rear lights. Compared to modern vehicles, Triumph lights can look a little dull, not helped by the condition of the reflectors. Mine were looking particully dull as the majority of the relective coating had fallen off over the past 40 years or so, so the reflectors were carefully pushed out of their holders and first given a coat of primer.



And then 'Chrome' paint, which doesn't seem to have the same shine as the stuff I have used before, but should be a vast improvement of what was there.



Once the paint was cured, the reflectors were fitted back into the light unit and I set about re-assembly, with a new gasket between the unit and the lenses. Unfortunately, the curretly available gaskets from one supplier are too small in both length and height, it seems as if it has shrunk.



I'll try a few more parts suppliers to see if anyone has lamp gaskets that fit, but I fear they are all being made in the same place, so I may have to find some suitable material and cut some out myself.

No comments: