Friday, July 06, 2012

A change of face

Decided the job for a day last weekend was to sort out the rev counter, when I converted to Megajolt I fitted a rev counter from a 2500 saloon as it was electrically triggered, but it did not have indicator repeater and rear demist warning lamps built into it, unlike the original GT6 mechanical rev counter. As I have a couple of spare GT6 rev counters and knowing one of them was knackered, I set to pulling it and the saloon rev counter apart.




It all came to pieces quite easily, apart from the needle on the electronic counter, needing a bit more force to pull it free. First off, the mechanical dial face had to be re-drilled, as it's two mounting holes were 90 deg out. Then I could set about making new holes in the rear of the mechanical counter body for the connections and securing screws.




With it all installed, I tried it on the car, but the response to changing revs was not as smooth as it should have been and it was obviously not moving as high as it should have either. It turned out that I have bent the shaft slightly when trying to remove the pointer needle, but this was soon straightened out and the rev readings checked against the Megajolt on my computer.
Then it was just a matter of re-installing the glass and securing ring, changing the indicator bulb holder again and fitting it to the car.




It would have been even better if I could have had the right needle for the old dial, but unfortunately their spindles are different diameters. 

No comments: