Thursday, September 07, 2006

MOT time.

Work on the GT6 has not progressed much in the past month due to work on my other car, a 1972 Triumph Spitfire 1500. The Spitfire uses some parts from a 1976 Spitfire I had on the road previously.
It was a case of second time lucky with the MOT, it failing on two points, low handbrake efficiency and corrosion on the chassis.
The chassis corrosion was on the out-rigger, where it attaches onto the main chassis rail, this was quite easily remedied by cutting out the corrosion and welding on a plate between the out-rigger and the main chassis rail, that welder I brought a few months ago is really showing its worth now.
The handbrake efficiency is a well know problem for the Spitfires and GT6's. Made more difficult for me as I had just replaced the rear handbrake cable and it had not yet straightened out yet, so it would not release properly.
Anyway, the Spitfire now has a MOT and is legal for the road, because it was made before 1973, it should be tax exempt, unfortunately in order to change the taxation class I need to go to my local DVLA office and I can only get ther by using my Spitfire, meaning I have had to pay for road tax, should be able to get most of it back after the taxation class has been changed.

Atleast I can resume work on the GT6 again, hopefully.

No comments: