Monday, May 14, 2007

Cool me pump

With an hour spare this evening I knocked up a cooling ring for the fuel pump. Apparently these old Lucas high pressure fuel pumps are prone to overheating. To overcome this the excess fuel from the pressure release valve is pushed round a coil of pipe around the motor part of the fuel pump.
You can buy these cooling coils, but seeing as I had an appropriately sized length of copper pipe I decided to make my own. It could do with an olive on each end to help locate the flexible fuel pipe and will probably be painted, perhaps matt black on the inside to absorb the heat?

The pump in the image is a spare, could be useful as a service exchange in the future though.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I'm not sure, and have no basis for this other than a hunch.
But isn't the super conductive properties of copper good enough?
Surely painting it black would infact insulate the copper pipe?

But then I've been wrong :)

SteveA said...

Too true, probably very little in it, not at the top of my jobs to do list at the moment ;)