Thursday, May 24, 2007

Prep for paint and sealing

Some years ago, before I bought it, the GT6 has had new floor panels, sills, rear valance and various other small repair panels put in, unfortunately none of these were ever painted properly after fitting. They had however received a generous coating of over spray and the results of exterior polishing. In addition to this, a substance, possibly waxoyl, had been spilt down the drivers side bulkhead, getting into the drivers footwell via the cutouts for the clutch and brake.
Now, because I want to give all of the new panels a good coat of paint I need to remove any loose paint or dirt before painting, but because of the spill in the drivers footwell I have had to lay sheets down in the car and lower myself head first into the footwell to attack the spilt substance with wire brush, glass paper and thinners. Once cleaned, the plan is to re-seal any seams, paint the panels and once the paint has cured, lay down some sound deadening.

In the meantime, I have been busy on good'ol eBay and have been able to pick-up a window washer bottle. This one has come from a Triumph Acclaim, so at least I am trying to keep it Triumph. The bottle looks to fit quite well in the side of the passenger footwell, so before the MOT I will need to make some bracket to hold it in place. Also on the bottle is an electric pump, so as time allows, this will be used in place of the original old manual push pump.

I have put another foot on the combined fuel pump and filter holder I made up last week. As it was it was not freestanding, which meant if bolted down it would be pulling excessively on the two mounting bolts, with the extra limb it is now freestanding and should sit better.
A hole has been cut in the boot floor for the fuel hose to pass from the bottom of the fuel tank to the fuel filter in the car, quite a large hole had to be cut for this so a rubber grommet could be used to protect the edges.

No comments: