Friday, October 12, 2007

A few more miles & those annoying little jobs.

Been out again doing some reasonable miles in the 2000, taking a trip over to Cambridge to see my folks and catch-up with friends at The Cambridge Museum of Technology. It really is a pleasure to be out driving in the old 2000, with it's better road presence and more comfortable interior, quite a shock to the system after a Spitfire.
On my way to Cambridge I stopped in at Northampton to meet up with Tim Bancroft to pick-up a tow bar for the MkI, it will not go on straight away but is part of my future plans for the car.

I now have the reconditioned propshaft fitted, getting rid of that annoying vibration when accelerating up to 60mph, but my current headache is the clutch master cylinder, it needs new seals, but due to the postal strike I do not know when I shall get the parts from TD Fitchetts.
So for now the car is laid-up in the barn having a few other jobs seen to on it.
First off, last night the indicator ring, which also holds the indicator stick, was replaced, as the old one seems to have broken many years ago and caused the indicator stick to be somewhat limp in your hand. Luckily there was a spare ring on the parts front end, which I got when I bought the car.
Next was the drivers door, I had thought for a while that the bottom hinge pin was just worn, but as I removed the door it became all to evident that the pin had actually sheared off. So some time today has been spent first of all trying to punch out the old pin and then drill it out, made more difficult with less than brilliant access for straight drilling through the pin on the car and a case hardened hinge pin.

No comments: