Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Another run out with the 2000 & Spitfire be gone.

Over the weekend the 2000 has been out for a bit more of a shake-down, covering an easy 300 miles. After driving the Spitfire for so many miles around the country and on the motorways it has been a great pleasure to drive a Triumph with reduced road noise and better road presence. Unfortunately the reconditioned propshaft has not arrived yet, but the old one did not seem to give any more problems.
Although I already knew about it, I need to make some serious investigations as to the cause of a whistling wind noise from the passenger side door. Above about 55mph the noise gets quite noticeable and once up to motorway driving speeds it can get somewhat loud and annoying. One way to reduce the problem is to open the window slightly, but then with the weather we have been getting recently it is not so preferable.
Another part which needs attention sooner than later is the fuel filler cap, as I have been filling the car up with more petrol for these longer journeys and have also been pushing the car a bit harder round corners it soon became evident that when cornering hard right, petrol has been sloshing out through the filler cap, not good.

While on my journey out to Leicester I popped in to see GT6Jim to have a chat, a nose around his MkI GT6 and give him a quick ride out in my 2000. Afterwards I drove up into Birmingham to pick-up my latest eBay purchase, another Triumph 6 cylinder head. Not absolutely sure what I shall do with it just yet, though it might be used on the 2000 as part of an engine upgrade in the future.

Yesterday (Monday) the Spitfire was driven back by it's new owner all the way back to the Lake District. I have not heard any complaints yet so I can only hope that he has got back safely.
It's a shame to see it go, but it was getting to a point where I was not enjoying driving it as much as I used to and it was also going to need some attention to the bodywork, a job I felt I did not want to get into.
Still hoping to have the GT6 on the road before the end of the year, so the small chassis Triumph fun can start again.

No comments: