Tuesday, October 12, 2010

GT6 rear end damage &starter heat shield

I spent a bit of time having a look at the dent in the rear of the new GT6 body, making a start by removing the lights and other trim. The rear deck, valance and light panel are all damaged, so at present I plan to replace just the light panel and try to straighten out the other panels.



I've also been out to the long term storage area to retrieve a few parts from a mostly rotten bodyshell. Much easier to carefully remove the light panel in the workshop in the dry and on the bench. It'll also give me a at hand reference of how the rear deck should sit.



Decided the first job was to remove the old light panel, I was going to carefully drill out all the spot welds, but soon gave-up on that idea and just cut the whole panel out. I've been able to make a start on smoothing it all out again, but I'm all too aware of my lack of experience and the risk of making things worse if I spend too long hammering in the same place, so I'll leave it for now and concentrate on panel preparation before getting some professional advise.



A problem I had with the GT6 last time it was out was that when hot, the starter would refuse to go and just blow a fuse. I've since been told that this is quite common with the modern type starter motors as they really don't like getting too hot. So rather than fit a heat reflective type blanket over it I decided to make-up a heat shield.
The CAD (cardboard aided design) was cranked into action before transferring to aluminium to produce a heat shield, which to pleasantly surprise me, fitted first time and was still easy to get into and out of position. While doing the job, I decided to replace the pozi-drive screws with allen-head screws to make for easier servicing of the starter as it is a pair to remove the whole unit, though I hope I won't need to again for a while now.



It has survived a quick run to the shops and seems to be doing it's job so far, so I can't complain at that really.

No comments: