Sunday, February 04, 2007

Engine woes

The pistons I ordered earlier this week have been delivered, unfortunately to the wrong address, over 200 miles away.
I shall call the supplier again in the morning to see what they are going to do about it. If they use their usual couriers it could take 3-5 days to get to me, in that time I could have waited for another supplier have got it cheaper - not happy.

The strip down of the GT6 engine has finished and some of the bearings look in a appauling state considering it had only run for 15-20minutes.
I have been advised that it is most likely due to oil starvation. Anyway new big end bearings are to be ordered in the morning following a second through cleaning of the block.

When doing the rebuild I will have to make sure that a copious ammounts of oil is forced into the oilways to prevent this happening again.

The engine came as a spare to the MkI engine in my GT6. Seeing as the MkI need rebuilding and this MkIII has already been rebuilt I decided to use this one instead. It was all pulled appart again so I could satisfy myself it was all fitted together correctly, just as well seeing as the bearing caps and conrod had been mixed up and since then I have not been happy about the quality of the workmanship on this engine and it is probably my fault for not throughly going through all of the previous work

After the disappointment of that engine I started looking at my next engine to clean it up and to judge its general condition. All of the congieled oil and dirt was soon washed from the outside of the engine and some of the external parts removed.
Quite worringly there appears to be a crack running a third of the way along the block by the waterspace, hopefully it is just a casting mark otherwise ot could be a major failure due to frost. When I consider work on this engine again the first job should be to check this crack from the inside after removing the core plugs.

No comments: