Monday, April 09, 2007

On a go slow

With this long Easter weekend I had planned to get a few more jobs on the GT6 finished. The first thing was to finish off the chassis welding, unfortunatelly I have discovered that the steering rack is mooving from side to side, which means the steering shaft can touch the exhaust manifold, so I need to get the rack fixed before I can decide if anything else needs to be modified before welding the chassis. To make sure the rack will not move I shall get myself a set of alloy mounts.
Seeing as the rack is half way to being removed, I will change it for a Spitfire one. The GT6 rack is 3 1/2 turns whereas the Spitfire rack is 2 1/2 turns.

A few weeks ago I fitted a fuel pressure regulator on the Spitfire, only over the weekend was I able to look at it again with a view to dropping the pressure to the carburettors, the problem only being visable with the engine at speed, when the fuel pressure overcomes the valves in the float chambers.
Whilst adjusting the regulator I noticed fuel pouring out of the rear float chamber, before this time it had only leaked slightly from the front float chamber. I have decided enough is enough and it is time to fully refurbish the SU carburettors, seeing as the throttle spindles and bushes are worn also. With this in mind I will make a few phone calls in the week to see what I can get.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I see you've already bought the aluminum mounts, but why didn't you consider 1st polyurethane rack bushings? Some have said the aluminum mounts can be harsher than neccessary.

SteveA said...

The car has already had polyurethane rack bushings, it was with these that I noticed the rack was moving from side to side, so I came to the conclusion that the rack mountings themselves must be distorted/damaged.
Seeing as I was going to need new mounts I decided I should give the solid blocks a try, will see how I get on.

David Powell said...

Alloy mounts are the bomb, I'd never use anything else! Total control, razor steering, top mod, used on all my spits!

SteveA said...

Ordered the mounts on Tuesday, no show yet (Friday), called the supplier - Oh your card has not gone through - Well thanks for letting me know, no wonder they are often my last choice.