Wednesday, November 26, 2008

New Arrivals

Last week the new chassis for the Lightweight was delivered, ready modified to take the 200tdi engine and fully galvanised, so it ought to last a few years. Unfortunately, work on the Land Rover will be slow for a bit as we wait for some reasonable weather to get the remaining bodywork cleaned off and painted. Added to this the replacement springs, new parabolic ones, are not expected to be delivered until Christmas, so we cannot start building up the new chassis until we get those.


Later on in the week, a couple of guys came out to fit a new windscreen in the GT6. Seeing as a new screen from Moss would be close on £110, I thought that the deal I got was not too bad as two guys came out to fit it, taking 45 minutes to do the job, only cost me £100. I can't help but think they did not make much of a profit on that job.

Meanwhile, many of the smaller jobs required to get the GT6 through a MOT have been completed, with the screen wash system plumbed in and lined up and a exhaust system sealed up and clamped down.
A slightly more long-winded job was in the making of an air box. When I did the bulkhead modifications many months ago it was my intention to fit a modified Spitfire air box, not ideal I know, but it is a starting point.

Instead of trying to fill in the old holes in the Spitfire back plate and to make alignment of the new holes much easier I decided to pull apart an old GT6 air box and weld that to the back of the Spitfire one. It all looks a bit agricultural at the moment but it should at least see me onto the road. I just need to find some suitable filters to go over the end of the tubes and then it should be good to go until I get round to making something better.

No comments: