Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Steps forward

I’ve been having another bash at the GT6, with a view to getting it MOT’d and on the road before the end of the year. Most of the big jobs that needed to be done before it had any chance of passing a MOT had already been completed, so now it has come to working through the long list of minor jobs.

One job that did cause a bit of a headache for a time was trying to get all of the lights working. With a bit of vigorous wobbling around of the bulb holder I was able to get the bulb to work for a time, but not to a point I would trust it for any length of time.
I decided to take the holder apart to clean it up and see where the weak link was. They seem to be failing where the negative contact for the bulb should mate with the larger which holds the assembly to the light unit. I have tried cleaning it all up and re-assembling it again, but that does not seemed to have improved it much.
To work around this, I ended up drilling through the two negative contacts and with the addition of a small screw, it holds the two contacts together so much better.
After getting a few other jobs out of the way, I have returned to fitting the new speedo, spending some time fabricating a bracket to hold the pick-up sensor on the diff. The bracket was built-up on the bench using a spare diff to make sure it all fitted properly before transferring it to the car. As the suppliers suggested, the propshaft bolts have been replaced with cap head ones to aid the pick up sensor.
Over the next few evening I hope to get the speedo wired up, just need to run power lines to the pick-up sensor and speedo head from the fuse box, connect the data line from pick-up sensor to the speedo and wire in the warning lights.

For the MOT, the car will just have the one seat fitted for a couple of reasons, I have not round to fitting the second seat to it's runner yet and as I have not been able to enguage the overdrive at speed yet, I would like to know it works before fitting the seat and hence making removal of the gearbox tunnel much harder.

I should have someone coming in later this week to fit a new windscreen, the current one might pass the MOT but it has so many minor scratches that it would annoy me all too quickly. Then that just leaves the screen wash system, front chassis over riders and front number plate to be fitted up before I consider booking in for a MOT.

No comments: