Sunday, October 01, 2006

Changing Starters

Well the GT6 project is progressing again with the arival of the starter motor kit, allowing me to fit a modern high torque starter motor to the car. When I tried to start the recently re-built engine, the starter motor did not have enough power to turn it over fast enough, so to overcome this problem I bought a high torque starter motor that was designed to go on a Midi Van.
With a kit from Canley Classics I was able to fit it to my car. Its worth noting that any 9 tooth Nippon Denso starter can be modified to fit your Spitfire or GT6 and can come in a lot cheaper than the ready converted one you get from some suppliers.



I had the added fun of repositioning the adaptor plate on the starter in order to make it fit in the new bulkhead, but there's what you get for moving the engine.

No comments: