Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Radiator thoughts

With getting closer to running the engine in, thoughts have turned to the cooling system. OK I know the standard Triumph cooling system could be a lot better, but for now I will have to work with what I have without spending out too much money, well for now atleast.

A couple of months ago I picked-up a Peugeot 205 radiator from eBay, so I intend to fit that in place of the original GT6 rad.The 205 rad should offer a greater cooling surface area, at a fraction of the cost of re-coring the GT6 one. In addition to this, I sourced a brand new swirl pot, delivered for £25, a lot cheaper than those in Demon tweaks. The swirl pot will sit inbetween the top hose of the rad and the water pump, its purpose is to purge out and air that might be in the cooling system, preventing airlocks.
This is a tried and tested system with a lot of the design and brain work having been done by David Powell (davesideways), he of crazy spitfire blog I can see no point in re-inventing the wheel when someone has already done the work, perhaps I shall find some improvments as it develops?

No comments: