Friday, October 20, 2006

Got to get some enthusiasm

The GT6 project has hit a bit of a slow patch, I want to get the engine running soon, but before that I need to fit a fuel regulator as the Facet fuel pump I brought a couple of months ago has a output pressure of 4-6psi, way too high for the Stromberg carburettors fitted at the moment. I have been advised to fit a Filter King fuel pressure regulator, probably will get this from Merlin Motorsport.
The fuel tank in the GT6 has been welded at some point previously and so to save myself from the risks of leaks due to poor repairs; I plan to use POR15 fuel tank sealer. A one pint can of it should do the job, just have to remove the fuel sender, remove any loose material from within the tank and then seal up most or the apertures in the tank before emptying the contents of the fuel tank sealer into the tank and then work it around all of the internal surfaces. Once coated it will need to cure for about four days, should give me plenty of time to get the fuel regulator.
Meanwhile I have started making the custom gearbox tunnel, I tried fitting the standard tunnel, but it would need so much modification to make it fit that it would not have been worthwhile. This is also on hold now until I have the gearshift extension cut-down, it is a piece of die cast aluminium and needs to have six inches cut from the centre to put the gearshift in a more comfortable position and allow proper use of the hand brake.

It’s been quite a struggle to make myself get out into the shed of an evening again, what with the night drawing in and the cold and wet weather. Must try harder eh?

No comments: