Monday, January 29, 2007

First bit of tunnel in

Over the weekend I managed to get the semi-removable section of my gearbox tunnel in. This is fitted with about fifty pop rivits and sealed using a silicon sealant. Getting the tunnel in has been a long winded job and I am glad its just about finished.



I fall goes to plan I am due to have my re-worked cylinder head, exhaust manifold and inlet manifolds fitted in the first part of February. Before these can be fitted I need to cahnge the pistons I currently have in my block, as the one which are in there at the moment are domed and so are no good for my new head, that needs flat top pistons. So a bit of time today was spent ringing around some of the Triumph parts suppliers. It appears that a wholesaler which many of the companies I contacted is moving, so I cannot get anything through them for over a week. Fortunately a couple of companies still claim to be able to get pistons, but at £100 more expensive, I shall have to give one of them a call in the morning.

So the engine is ready to be partially stripped again, to make way for the change of pistons, while I am at it the camshaft will be changed for something a bit more lively than the late GT6 one and the timing chain exchanged for a duplex version which are less prone to stretching then single row chains.

Before the engine can be run though, the fuel system between the engine and fuel tank needs some modification, with the fitting of the high pressure fuel pump and its associated pipework.
One job also in with this will to be to add a fuel return back into the fuel tank for excess fuel. This will mean adding a pipe into the fuel tank somewhere, best properly drain the tank before getting any heat close to it eh?

No comments: