Sunday, September 16, 2007

Shed repair panels

The promised repair panels for the Shed were delivered on Tuesday, by a 18ton curtain side lorry, made all the more interesting when the tail lift on it failed, being able to lower itself, but not back up again. With a bit of man handling it was soon off the lorry and into a trailer for the short trip, through tight lanes, down to the farm.
There is a fair bit more of it than I had initially expected, it still having the steering column, pedals, and dash fitted. Fortunately for me it appears that the car, a few years prior to being cut-up, had received new front wings, so they were still in near mint condition.

If I was a better person, I should have carefully removed the whole wing and fitted it complete on my car, I'm not that good though. So a repair section was cut from the recovered wing instead.

The hardest part of the job so far has been to re-constitute the inner wing, as this required a judicious amount of bending and forming to get the inner wing to meet up with the outer wing in something akin to the original form. After welding the inside, all the welds and joins have had a coat of my favorite seal sealer, Adheseal, then a coat of primer.
I expect now to spend some of the next few evenings applying filler to cover and blend in the wing, before spray painting it.

No comments: