Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Shed, a week on...

It's been a fairly busy week on the shed, working my way through it finding what needs to be done for the MOT. When I bought the car I already knew about some of the jobs that needed to be done, including replacing the speedo as the original one had failed. Unfortunately when the speedo failed, it also stripped the threads from it's drive in the gearbox, so that will have to be replaced in the week.
Fitted new in the week was a ignition switch and luckily for me I was able to use the original ignition switch and barrel in the new switch, keeping the same key for most locks in the car. Also fitted was a reconditioned steering rack, as the old was was showing excessive ware at the tube end, I believe this had been picked up at the last MOT, but had been wrongly diagnosed as slack in both track rod ends.

Quite a bit of time was spent on the nose cone again, this time adding filler where required in a attempt to make it look right. After a few nights on it I came to the conclusion that it was never going to look perfect, so I have taken it to a point where it looks fairly presentable, with the intention to replace the whole nose at a later point.

I hate to say it but, I seem to have become a bit of a polisher, as I have been slowly making my way around the car, cutting the very faded paint back, polishing and then waxing it. Hopefully once the paintwork is up again it should not need that much work.

No comments: