Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Anti roll bar drop links


I need to go about setting up the chassis on my GT6, so I've been looking at the few remaining dodgy looking suspension parts on my car. The anti roll bar drop links from Wolfitt Racing look pretty good, but are out of stock, so I thought about sourcing the parts myself.

 I went through McGill Motorsports to order the parts, slightly more expensive per piece than eBay, but no delivery costs.

So ordered:
3/8" UNF Male-Female Studded Rose Joint Track Rod End
3/8" x 3/8" UNF Right Hand Male Economy Rose Joint
3/8" UNF Rose Joint Misalignment Spacers PACK OF 4
3/8" UNF Half Nuts Right Hand Thread

The parts were delivered from McGill Motorsports the next day (Saturday) all the way down from Fife, so I've sourced some fasteners and have welded in a spacer on top of the lower wishbone arm for the bolt to pass through. Started off with just having an extra plate on the back of the spacer to support it, but then decided to box it all the way in as it looks a bit neater.
While I was there, the brace bar on the arm was welded around to stiffen it up, which it has done a surprising amount.




Here are before and after shots:

Before



After




Not surprisingly the anti-roll bar was not flat as it should have been, so this has now been corrected for using the rod ended drop links. One thing I had forgotten about previously was that the anti-roll bar is not as free to move as it should be due to the bushes being too far along the bar and restricting it. With this in mind, I have bought some solid anti-roll bar blocks from Merlin Motorsport, unfortunately they don't sell them with 11/16" ID, so I shall have to bore them to suit.




No comments: