Thursday, May 20, 2010

Propshaft changing

As I'm still not happy about the vibrations in my car, I had a new propshaft delivered from Dave Mac. The company where I had bought the first one from wanted another £75 to re-balance it, plus three days to do the job, whereas Dave Mac delivered a new one for £95, which meant the car would not have to be left disabled for long. Oh, it's 29" long just in case anyone is interested.




In-between working on the Lightweight Land Rover I managed to find time to do a few jobs on the GT6. First off was the propshaft, but to do that I had to remove the centre section of exhaust, not that hard to do really and it gave me a chance to have a proper look at it.
Below are the two propshafts, the newer one being at the bottom, having a smaller tube diameter and having far fewer balance weights stuck on.



In the week I also received a pair of brake drum centring rings for the CV converted cars, which are fortunately a nice and tight fit, so they should hold in place nicely with a bit of bearing lock. Part of the idea of fitting these rings is to try to reduce the problem I had with peculiar brake shoe ware, where the bottom part of one of the shoes was heavily worn. Though I am starting to wonder if that was more down the brake shoe not moving up as it should after to was tightened up on the brake adjuster.

I've still to reassemble the drum brake on one side before I can go out for a trial run, but I am hoping I have managed to do away with the vibrations I was getting at speed.

No comments: