Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Smaller jobs and settling down

So I got a few more jobs done in the week, rear brakes re-assembled and hopefully setup right this time and a bit more sound deadening has gone down on the gearbox tunnel before the carpet, which of course has to be modified. I've been trying to go round and finish off some of those jobs I started a while ago or have bought parts for, but never got round to fitting  to this end, the car now has a Spitfire front spoiler.



At the same time I have been working on the fuel system, again , and have been looking at fitting a fuel swirl pot I bought some months ago. To give me some extra freedom of where to position it, the outlet and bleed-off tails were cut off before being re-tapped to take a 90 degree fuel union and sealed with JB weld for good measure. This means I can run the swirl pot much higher, giving a greater head of fuel to the high pressure Lucas pump.



I then had a chance to take the car out for a run and I am pleased to say that the majority of the speed related vibrations have gone. There is still some vibrations coming through the steering column, but at the same time the whole of the dash is vibrating, so this could be related. At the moment the 'H' bracket is not in place between the dash and the floor/gearbox tunnel, so I might have a go at modifying a bracket to fit. It's been good just to get some miles in on the car and try to get the feel for it, after driving Spitfires and the 2000 driving the GT6 is so different with the increased power and the ability to corner, though I have not found the limits yet, probably more down to the driver.

The car seems to have bags of torque, just driving around choosing the quieter road, I was sat behind a car doing 50mph till he jumped on the brakes for an even slower car in front, a MG BGT complete with wire wheels and spinners, once the road was clear it accelerated beautifully in forth from 40mph all the way up to legal. I know I am never going to have it setup as well as some of the faster Spitfires, but it is still a hoot to drive and so much easier to do so with many of the vibrations done away with. Feel a lot happier about going out for a blast without tools now and would be happy to drive all over Europe in it, not something I would have wanted to do twelve months ago.

No comments: