Saturday, May 15, 2010

Ramblings and engine mounts

Got a couple of tyres fitted this weekend, I've been wanted to fit something half decent this time, so I went for Continental Pro Contact 3's, as I had fitted on the 2000. Was going to get them mail order, but it worked out cheaper to order them online, supplied and fitted through Kwik-Fit.

The vibrations, coming through at over 70mph, are still present. This is despite new front vertical links, trunnions and bearings, so I'm pretty sure it is not coming from the front. So what else could it be? the propshaft has only done 3.5k miles, the CV joints and driveshafts are second hand though, perhaps one of these is the root of the problem?

While the car is in the barn I've decided to reduce the camber up front by taking out one of the thin shims. It was about 2.5deg negative each side, a bit too much I thought for normal driving.



While I wait for my new propshaft I thought I'd have another crack at sorting out my engine mounts as the original type repro ones are not looking too good. The plan is to use the original GT6 block mounting point, but extend the bracket to sit on the back part of the suspension tower and use Jaguar engine mounts.



 It's only tacked in at the moment, so it'll need welding fully before cleaning up and fitting



No comments: