Monday, November 20, 2006

More thoughts

I have spent a bit of time today pondering my situation with regard to fitting in the metering unit.
To fit the metering unit in another cut will need to be made into the bulkhead, close to the battery box. To make space for this, the starter solenoid, horn relay and hazard flasher unit will also have to be moved, the most sensible place for this would be in the car and whilst moving all the associated wiring the fuse box may as well come in also.
All of this cutting and moving of electrics could be avoided by not using the metering unit and by instead installing a EFI (electronic fuel injection) system that meters the fuel by measuring the position of the engine through a pick-up sensor on the crank, the throttle position and the air/fuel ratio to decide how much and when to let fuel through to the injectors.
The EFI system has its advantages with greater flexibility of settings, by use of a computer, but then there is a bloody-minded part of me that wants to see the Lucas PI system work before I dismiss it.

I trial fitted the complete throttle bodies on my spare cylinder head tonight, there is no end of lost movement in the throttle movement, I can see myself re-making the majority of the linkage with modern carb parts, hey well that’s another thing to keep me amused of a cold evening.

When I bought the GT6 it was my intention to improve it over a number of stages, so I could fully appreciate the work I had done, but so far I have moved the engine back 6 inches, changing the handling characteristics, converted to CV joints and changed the fuel induction system, but still I have not had a chance to drive the car, that’s really got to change before the year is out.

The image below should give you a rough idea of what I am up against, with the metering unit top left needing to sink down four inches next to the battery box.

No comments: