Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Weight distribution & forward thinking

Well last week a I did a rough calculation as to the front-back weight distribution of the GT6 with the engine in its new positon. I have woked it out to be about 50-50, which should lead to a heck of a lot better handling then before with the engine in the original position. Plenty more to do yet, but its a good moral boost.

Thoughts have been lent to the next to the next stage of works to be carried out on the GT6 once I get it out on the road. My original intention was to fit tripple carbs, but to do this more of the bulkhead around the top of the drivers footwell hould have to be modified. This would include moving the wiper motor to the other side of the car and taking the clutch and brake master cylinders from the top of the bulkhead and insted use a pedal box with remote reservoirs.
The alternative, as pointed out to me on the Club Triumph forum, is to go for petrol injection (PI) A PI system was designed for the 2.5litre Triumphs and are avilable.
I believe that I should be able to fit a PI system onto the GT6 with the engine pushed back 6 inches, it having already been done before on Dave Picton's Spitfire, a car I could really do with getting a good look around.
The problem is that all of the Triumph PI systems were originally designed for use on 2.5 engines and I want to keep the 2 litre, it having a shorter stroke makes for a more lively engine. To do this the metering unit (the bit which decides how much petrol is fed out) needs to be adjusted to suit the 2 litre engine. This line of thought needs a bit more investigating, but it should make for a good setup, hope to learn a bit more in the next few weeks.

No comments: