Monday, March 26, 2007

Odds and sods

Most of Saturday was spent fitting that exhaust manifold for the Spitfire, unfortunatelly I found a crack up close to one of the collectors, so this had to be welded before I could think of fitting it. It was a right pig of a job really as I had to remove some material from the inlet manifold for the primary from No.3 clyinder to pass and even now it is a bit close.
Mooving further down the joint between the 2 into 1 collector and the main exhaust pipe was never going to seal as it had been mangled so badly by the previous owner, so I resorted to welding the two pieces together, there shoul not be any exhaust leaks from there :)

Sundays job was going to be to put in the new fuel lines, having removed the copper fuel line I put in for the carbs a few months back I noticed yet another of my unfinished jobs, the seat and seatbelt mounting bolts. There are far too many jobs I have started and not finished properly on this car so I decided I ought to finish these seat mountings before I got any further.
The previous owner had new floor pans fitted, but the seat and seatbelt mounting points were new replaced, so I have had to first weld nuts on to plates, work out where to place them on the underside of the car (usefull having the Spitfire to check against) and then whilst lying under the car inches away from you, do some upside down welding. Not the most fun of jobs, but a nessary evil, I wish I had done this job when I had the body tub off and three feet in the air.
Tonight the freshly welded bit have had a coat of primer, along with the strip across the bottom of the sill, I had to strip the paint from here some time ago as the sills had only been spot welded on before painting.

No comments: