Monday, March 19, 2007

Weekend on the Spitfire

Its been a whle since I have done any maintenance on the Spitfire so it was due for a bit of time spent on it whilst there is some spare space in the barn. A job that certainly needed doing was the universal joints on the driveshafts, these only tend to last about 5,000 miles so they were over due for replacement.
Replacing the UJ's can be a right pig of a job as it involves spending a fair bit of time lying under the car with your arms in the air undoing the eight drivshaft bolt, four on each side. The added annoyance came when disconnecting the brake fluid lines, as the threads on both of these have started to corrode making removal of the locking nuts very hard to remove, fortunately I was able to remove one from each pipe. When I next do some work around this area I will probably change the flexible brake pipes.

With the drivshafts removed from the car they were inspected whilst on the bench, another job I found for the future will be to replace both of the rear wheel bearings as they seem to be sarting to get a bit of slack in them, nothing horrendous, just needs to be rememered about for next time.

This evening I finshed the job off by re-bleeding the brake fluid and took the car out for a run and damn, I am still getting knocking from the rear :(
Looks like new universal joints could be needed on the propshaft also.
Despite this I carried on for a few more miles, might as well as I was out, all was going well untill I got back on the home straight and the engine started to lack power, well I limped back home, changed the plug leads and went out for another run, still no better. Plugs have been checked and look good, a new coil, points and condenser have also been fitted recently so it should not be these, perhaps the points have slipped or something else, oh well I'll have another look tomorrow.

No comments: