Sunday, March 04, 2007

Engine back in - again

On Saturday evening I lifted out the old block from the car, I ended up doing by hand myself, damn it is a heavy old lump.
With that out I was able to remove the front engine plate, in cleaning up the gasket surfaces I realised how warped and damaged the plate was. It came with a mass of spares from my last Spitfire, however I have decided not to use it again, so although it is bolted onto the engine it will be replaced as soon as I can get a new one. Hopefully it should be faily easy to change it in situ.

Today after bleeding the fuel system again my Nuffield tractor was brought back into life and was used again to fit the engine and gearbox into the car. I have found it easier to lift the engine, move the car underneath and then getly lower it in.
This seems to be a better way as I have not managed to get the hang of gentle enough movement of the tractor, any slightly sharp movement sends the engine rocking back and forth, not so good for the paintwork :)

After the engine was securly in place the bonnet was also fitted, much perfer to have the bonnet on the car. I worry too much that it might get scratched or dented whilst proped up against the wall.
The propshaft was also fitted, this is a pig of a job, as it has to be done from underneath the car. On less modified cars it can be done from inside the car, but in a attempt to keep as much of the propshaft tunnel in place as possible I have made myself another undesirable task.

No comments: