Saturday, March 03, 2007

Engine coming together

The pistons were picked up from the machine shop earlier this week, so the pistons were soon fitted to the con rods and rings fitted soon after.
Before the pistons and rods went in, the block was given a final clean to remove any last reminants of paint or chemicals after the repaint, then it was time to build it up, again.













One of the problems I noticed when I last stripped the engine down was that two of the fixings for the sump had stripped their threads, obviously it could not go back in like this. Luckily I had a replacement part, as it also incorporates the rear crankshaft oil seal, from my spare engine.
The problem with this part is that it is alloy and hence the threads are not so strong in it, following a suggestion from the Club Triumph Forum, I have chosen to replace the bolts with studs loctited into the alloy and when I came to fit the sump it did not strip the threads.

Friday night saw the bottom end being sealed up, having had the gasket set delivered that morning. I will need to remove the old cylinder block from the car before I can build it up much more, as the front engine plate is currently in use on it, but its all quite straight forward.

Ordered from Chris Witor earlier this week was a replacement sump plug, not your normal type but a alloy one with a magnetic centre. I hope not to have any metallic matter floating about in the oil, but this ought to pick up anything that does get in or break free, alerting me to any problems.

2 comments:

David Powell said...

I usually find mine has plenty of metal on it, I reckon it all comes from the timing chain and rocker shaft! No bother that.

SteveA said...

Fair point that, I had not considered the results from that sort of ware